At the top of Puig de Capdepera we find the majestic Castle of Capdepera. It is located in an enclave with an excellent panoramic view of the island’s inland lands, the coastline and the Menorca channel, all of this favouring the surveillance and control of the northwest of the island.
King Jaume II ordered its construction in the 14th century. Capdepera Castle is a fortress with a walled enclosure that allowed its inhabitants to establish themselves, especially in times when robberies and attacks by pirates were frequent.
The castle was built not only to protect its inhabitants from pirate attacks, but also with the intention of strategically controlling this territory. It is an important place for Mallorca, as it was in Capdepera where the submission of the Menorcan Muslims was signed in the so-called Tratado of Capdepera.
The town had 125 houses within its walls. In the 18th century, it became a military site until, in 1855, Capdepera Castle became the property of Josep Quint Zaforteza through a public auction. After several negotiations with the heirs, in 1983 the ownership of the castle passed into the hands of the Capdepera Town Council. It is currently managed by a board of patronages.
Capdepera Castle was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest. The income collected at the box office is used for the preservation and conservation of the cultural heritage of the municipality of Capdepera.
On 6 February the castle doors were reopened to visitors. During the months of February and March the opening hours are from 10 am to 5 pm. During the months of April, May and October the opening hours are from 10 am to 7 pm and during the summer months the castle is open from 10 am to 9 pm.